Announcing the FixXxiE Racing Junior Track Program
By Kevin O'Neill | Apr 14, 2019
Announcing the FixXxiE Racing Junior Track ProgramProgram Information
Hiring a Driver/Mentor for 2019
Today we are proud to announce FixXxiE Racing, a program dedicated to bringing the benefits of velodrome racing to a diverse group of Chicago girls and boys. The FixXxiE Racing program will bring between 4 to 6 youths to race at the Thursday Night Track Racing series at the Ed Rudolph Velodrome in Northbrook from May through September. We believe that competitive cycling provides lifelong social and emotional benefits and that it encourages a healthy lifestyle. The FixXxiE Racing program is a partnership between xXx Racing-Athletico and Blackstone Bicycle Works. This program will provide resources to its junior racers so that everyone can participate regardless of financial means. XXX Racing-Athletico will provide program leadership, transportation to and from the velodrome, racer licensing, race fees, meals, mentorship, and coaching. Blackstone Bicycle Works will provide bikes, race gear, coaching, and mentoring.
Blackstone Bicycle Works: The mission of Blackstone Bicycle Works is to provide educational and vocational opportunities to youth from some of Chicago's most underserved neighborhoods.
Blackstone Bicycle Works will provide:
- Racers: 4-6 youths are ideal for the program's pilot year. A larger group will be invited to attend the May 11th Track Clinic.
- Race gear
- Coaching and Mentorship
- Space to park a trailer (future)
xXx Racing-Athletico: xXx Racing-Athletico is incorporated as an Illinois 501(c)(3) tax-exempt entity, and we have a mission of fostering, promoting, and increasing cycling and bike racing in Chicagoland.
xXx Racing-Athletico will provide:
- FixXxiE Racing Program Leadership
- Transportation between Blackstone Bicycle Works and the velodrome in Northbrook
- USA Cycling Licensing
- Race Fees
- Mentoring and Coaching
Hiring a Driver/Mentor
We are also looking to hire a driver/mentor for the FixXxiE Racing program. We're looking for a Driver/Mentor who is energetic, personable, and responsible. You must enjoy interacting with youth and be familiar with driving in the Chicagoland area. You must have a valid driver's license, have a clean driving record, be at least 25 years of age, and pass a background check with SafeSport. The ideal candidate would be able to act as a youth mentor as well as a driver.
The commitment will be approximately from 3 pm to Midnight on Thursdays from May 9th through September 12th. Being a track racer is not a requirement, but if you are, you would be able to race at least the first 2 sessions of the night (and sometimes the 3rd session, depending on schedule and timing).
- Pick up rental van/truck
- Order and pick up dinner for the racers
- Pick up 4-6 youth and their bikes/gear at Blackstone Bicycle Works in Hyde Park
- Drive to the Ed Rudolph Velodrome in Northbrook, IL
- Take racers out for a post-race meal
- Drive back to Hyde Park for youth drop-off at Blackstone Bicycle Works
- Return rental vehicle
Compensation: Compensation is a flat rate of $175/night
Please send a cover letter and resume if you are interested in this driver/mentor position by April 26th to email@example.com.
Click here for a PDF of the hiring announcement for a Driver/Mentor.
- Track Clinic - May 11
- Thursday Night Racing - May 9
- Thursday Night Racing - May 16
- Thursday Night Racing - May 23
- Thursday Night Racing - May 30
- Thursday Night Racing - June 6
- Thursday Night Racing - June 13
- Thursday Night Racing - June 27
- Thursday Night Racing - July 11
- Thursday Night Racing - July 18
- Thursday Night Racing - July 25
- Thursday Night Racing - August 1
- Thursday Night Racing - August 8
- Thursday Night Racing - August 15
- Thursday Night Racing - August 22
- Thursday Night Racing - August 29
- Thursday Night Racing - September 5
- Thursday Night Racing - September 12
Click here for the most up-to-date details about the FixXxiE Racing program and the role and responsibilities of the Driver/Mentor position.