2021 Criterium Clinic
By Kevin O'Neill | Jun 26, 2021
Team Criterium Clinic - Tuesday, June 29th
6:30pm - LaBagh Woods Nature Preserve
REMINDER: On Tuesday, June 29th, we are hosting our annual Criterium Clinic for teammates at LaBagh Woods. This is a great clinic for new riders as well as seasoned racers who want to brush up on their criterium racing, cornering, and pack riding techniques, so we hope you will join us.
Location: LaBagh Woods Nature Preserve
Time: 6:30PM - 8:30PM
You can RSVP here: https://xxxracing.org/event-board/ride/289
Agenda:Time allowing we will cover the following five topics. We will get through the first three topics, go through the fourth topic if there’s time, and plan to have the fifth part of the clinic be the first LaBagh Woods Practice Crit on July 6th (which will be open to the public).
- Basic Pack Skills - Protecting Your Front Wheel: Basic Pack Skills to include paceline drills, limited contact drills, and the infamous wheel rubbing drill. We will focus on making sure that riders know how to move assertively (not passive or aggressive) to maintain position in a group while maintaining safety of themselves and others.
- Cornering – Choosing and Holding Your Line: Cornering will start with an introduction to cornering technique (e.g. body position, sighting, covering the brakes, etc.), and progress to group cornering drills in 2x2 and 3x3 formation.
- Pack Awareness & Skills: Pack Awareness & Skills to cover skills for pack movement, field of view focus and awareness, fueling within the pack, and several moving drills to allow riders to practice smooth movement forward and backwards within a pack.
- ** Sprinting Basics (time allowing)
- ** Bringing It All Together (time allowing)
- This is NOT going to be a certified USA Cycling Beginner Rider Program clinic, but the full curriculum from USA Cycling that our clinic is based on can be reviewed here.
- You do NOT need to have a USA Cycling racing license to attend the clinic, but you will need to sign a USA Cycling Event Waiver at the clinic. Riders under 18 years old will need to have a signature from a parent or guardian. Please let us know if you need a waiver to have a parent/guardian sign ahead of time before the clinic.
- Please remember that COVID-19 is still a public health issue and should be treated as such. Riders should not join, and will not be allowed to remain at, the clinic if sick or symptomatic (with cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever of 100.4° F or above, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, or other COVID symptoms). Sick or symptomatic riders are encouraged to seek a COVID-19 test at a state or local government testing center, healthcare center, or other testing locations, and follow guidelines for self-isolation. Do not attend clinic within 14 days of a positive COVID test, any COVID-related symptoms, or exposure to someone known to be infected with COVID-19. The team will continue to monitor the situation and communicate updates to the team on a regular basis.